Monday, February 25, 2008

Now I Get the Sock Thing

For the longest time, I have secretly questioned the common sense of fellow knitters who get completely ga-ga over socks. Seriously, why knit something on teeny tiny needles if really nice ones are easily available at the department store for under $10? After all, don't these knitters know that the average sock (one sock) has 17,000 stitches, bringing a pair to a whopping 34,000 stitiches. That's comparable to a sweater! I also thought the whole "but it's portable and can go anywhere" contention hard to buy... other equally small projects exist, such as baby anything, an adult hat, wrist warmers, small bags, many many small projects. All this I thought until...



Name: My first sock
Yarn: Jaeger 4-ply merino, pink
Yarn Source: Gifted by friend. Thank you!
Needles: US 2 24" Addi Lace and US 2 32" Addi Turbo
Pattern: 5-stitch pattern with mock cable, Sensational Knitted Socks, Charlene Schurch
Comments:I knit my first pair of socks custom fitted for me. These are toe-up using the Easy Toe and Short Row Heel. I bound off using EZ's Sewn Bind Off, which is by far the most straight forward and stretchy bind off I've found thus far. I love these socks! They don't bunch. They don't slouch. They don't get stretched out of shape. OK, I sooooo completely get the sock thing so much so, that I've been obsessed with socks for the last two months.



Name: My second sock
Yarn: Handmaiden Casbah Sock, Bronze
Yarn Source: Amazing Threads, Maple Grove, MN
Needles: US 2 24" Addi Lace and US 2 32" Addi Turbo
Pattern: My own. Modified from 5-stitch pattern socks, Sensational Knitted Socks, Charlene Schurch
Comments: Admittedly, the yarn was initially intended for myself, but when I saw it knitted up I thought it would better suit a more masculine recipient. This yarn is by far my favorite sock yarn. It has a beautiful hand, very soft, and there is a slight sheen. Next chance I get, I'm getting some more. The generous yardage allowed for a pretty long sock, about 3/4 up the calf.



Yarn: Pagewood Farms, Hand-dyed
Yarn Source: Amazing Threads, Maple Grove, MN
Needles: US 2 24" Addi Lace and US 2 32" Addi Turbo
Pattern: My own. Modified from 5-stitch pattern socks, Sensational Knitted Socks, Charlene Schurch
Comments: This was a very generous hank (450m). I still have a good sized ball left. The colors are beautiful. When I bought it I was concerned about possible pooling, but now am happily surprised. It pooled in some places, but not overly so.


With all this sock hoppiness, I've got another FO, but it must remain a mystery since it is for the First Annual Sock It to Me Contest at Amazing Threads. Here's a clue: this is what was leftover after I cobbled these socks together.
I've also started domesticat's Drunken Bees Socks. I really like this pattern so far. I'm using Araucania's Ranco Solid in a pinky mauvy tone with slight monochromatic varegation.

Finally, there is this lacy plum sock. The yarn is Plymouth's Happy Feet. The pattern is from Sensation Knitted Socks, the 12-stitch pattern sock using Oriel Lace. IMHO, these socks are just plum not making the cut. They fit a bit loose so the lace doesn't show well on the foot, which is a challenge since the dark yarn inherently hampers visibility. They are currently in hibernation, but might be taking a dip in the frog pond soon. We'll see. P.S. 20" needles are really annoying. They might soon become really expensive stitch holders.

1 comment:

Bettina said...

Yeah, I am the first to make a comment on your new blog! Though I am not a knitter myself (gasp!) I truly enjoyed reading your accounts which gave me more insight into the world of yarn, creativity, excitement, frustration, needles, and yes, cats. Of course, cats are my passion too so it's funny imagining them amongst balls of yarn. I know both of mine would do the same thing, but to each and every one they encountered! They would not wait for the best to come around. ;-) I can't wait to read more postings!