Monday, August 4, 2008

A Healthy Dandelion Harvest

My hands are sore and my back is crooked, but alas, it is not from knitting. My new hobby, dandelion farmer, is turning out to be quite lucrative. Seeing as how it cost me nothing to establish my crop other than buying a home that was unoccupied for 10 months, this is a great deal.

The last two evenings, I have spent about 3-4 hours (per evening) weeding. Ugh! My sidewalk was littered with dandelions as I pulled them with my new neighbor's super cool weeder that sold out at the home improvement store in 2 weeks and they won't restock it (argh!!). Some little kids on their bikes referred to said litter as "ooooh a jungle." Gee thanks.

My new neighbors are self-described as "tight knit." Many stopped by to offer a word of encouragement or two. This is much appreciated since after all these hours of labor, the lawn still looks the same: brown and weedy. Several suggested I just use chemicals. I wish I could, but I can't. It would kill the fledgling grass and most likely leave the weeds untouched at this time of the year. So the most I can do is pull the weeds and ask the neighbor's boy to mow... for a charge of course. They aren't that "tight knit."

No comments: