Friday, July 11, 2008

Sneak Peek, Mimosa, and Other Fiber Cocktails

It seems that most of my friends have birthdays in the summer. One such friend is getting a surprise for hers. Here's a sneak peek. The pattern will be available free on this blog during late August.


After deciding that the project was too persnickety to continue and letting the thing marinate/hibernate for a few weeks, I have finally finished the Glacial Mimosa. Pictures of the completed garment are forthcoming, but for now here are some pics of it in progress.

You just might be able to tell that it is very slightly (possibly?) striped. Well, it is and I'm still fuming about it. The yarn (originally for the Puff Sleeved Feminine Cardigan by Stephanie Japel, below in red) was from two distinct dye lots.


How did I discover this? Oh... I just knit about 95% of the sweater, saw it in natural light instead of my compact fluorescents, and went S*&^&^@#%((*&*%$!!!!!! Then with an unceremonious 'ugh' I tossed it in the darkest corner of my least used closet. Months later, I ripped out the monstrosity (my dye lot boo boo, not the pattern, I love glampyre's designs) and started the Pink Mimosa from Interweave. Thinking that if I alternate rows with the different dye lots, I might be able to make this work. I must admit that I am pleased with the striping. It is very subtle, and lends a heathery quality to the garment. So why was it banished yet again?
  1. Absolute torturous need for carrying two balls at once
  2. All the ends that needed to be woven end
  3. DK weight is SLOOOOOWWWW knitting
Anyway, it is all done. I had to add a few repeats of the lace since my bust could use a bit more coverage. All it needs now is some time blocking. I'm just glad it is done. Now I remember why I despise DK weight.

Did you know that an aran and DK weight garment differ by a factor of 2 in the number of stitches? Even more, there is a factor of 4 between aran and sockweight! Just look at the numbers. Hmmm... chunky yarn is looking really appealing right now.
  • Aran 4" square: 16 sts x 20 rows = 320
  • DK 4" square: 22 sts x 28 rows = 616
  • Sock 4" square: 32 sts x 40 rows = 1280

To end on a sweeter note, the feline-fiber bonding continues. Jynx has found yet another yarny place to cuddle, this one even comes with a view.


No comments: